Hotels, cheap hotels, discount hotel reservations
If you’re about to make hotel reservations, there are a few things you need to know before you book a room for your getaway. Hotel can be one of the most expensive parts of your trip, so make sure you don’t spend more than you need to on reservations.
1. Understand that hotel rooms rates vary. To get the best one you will need to spend some time researching and may be able to negotiate price when making reservations.
2. Learn the “rack” or published rate. This is generally the highest rate hotels charge for a room and what people who don’t know any better pay for their reservations. Now you know better. So expect to play less.
3. Decide what kind of hotel you want — (e.g. near an airport, city center, attraction) before making reservations.
4. Once you have an idea of the hotel you want to stay in, begin researching online travel agent to find prices for reservations.
5. After you have a general idea of what the hotel you want to stay in costs, visit a few other sites before booking reservations. Alternatively, you can use HotelsCombined.com to compare hotels and prices from over 30 major hotel reservations websites.
6. Here’s a secret most people don’t know: Hotels generally set aside their worst rooms for guests who book reservations through an online travel agent. Your goal is to get the best hotel room at the best price.
7. So the next-to-last stop is the hotel’s own Web site. There you should be able to find the best reservations prices.
8. Now you’re in the final stretch. After you’ve noted all the different prices for a room at the same hotel, call the hotel directly. The reservations manager will have a far better idea of the occupancy level for the dates you want than the hotel’s Web site.
What You Need:
- Know the dates you want to travel.
- Have a valid credit card.
- Know that hotel room rates may vary from day to day.
- Be patient. Your research will pay off in less-costly hotel reservations.